Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Day of Tears

Today the crying never stopped. Carter started feeling sick yesterday, and was fussy all day from morning until night. The over all misery progressed until he was only content being held. He laid in everyone's arms until he fell asleep before 7 PM. Once he was asleep he was pretty much quiet until I went in his room to check on him as I was going to bed at 11 PM. After that he decided it was much better to be with mom all night than be alone in his crib. Sleep was only captured in glimpses for the next 24 hours.

The day started anyway despite all my hopes and prayers. And the crying continued. He cried when he woke up. He cried because Daddy wasn't there. He cried when Daddy came home. He cried even harder when Daddy had to go to sleep. He cried when we had to take Jaden to preschool. He cried because he was hungry, but then he refused to eat. Finally, he started to nod off while I was holding him. I had one peaceful moment as I was rocking him in his room. But then I put him in his crib and he cried. I picked him up and tried to get him to sleep on me. He cried, so I put him back in his crib hoping he would fall asleep eventually, and dozed off while he cried. I woke up a few minutes later when he cried again. I got up and held him as he cried once again for Daddy.

Thankfully, my mother relieved me and held him while I picked Jaden up from school. I made lunch while Jaden pouted about who knows what. He was having his own "out of sorts day". We got through lunch and I laid Carter in his crib for his nap. I put ear plugs in knowing that I had to get some sleep or I was going to be a very mean mommy VERY soon. I fell asleep to him crying and woke to him crying. By that time I was feeling very depressed and nursing a migraine. Thankfully Jeff was up by then, and I escaped for a desperately needed trip to the grocery store (Carter got sick right after Jaden got better, so this has pretty much been the story of the week). I took an Excederin and left to the sound of you-know-what.

Once I was in the car I took a deep breath and looked around. The mountains looked beautiful, snow capped and majestic. I turned up the music on the radio and tried to sing along. I thought about how grateful I was for the "time off". I knew by the time I got back Jeff would probably be feeling how I did when I left, so I tried to cheer myself up. We can't all be cranky at the same time! So with my headache temporarily relieved, and little bit of shaky, caffine energy, I made it through the night. Its amazing what a little bit of fresh air will do for you during a very oppressive day. So now with my exhausted children in bed, my husband off to work, and my migraine returned in force, I take two Excerdin PM and pray for a quiet night.


shaina said...

Those days are terrible! The nights are even worse. Does he have an ear infection?
Poor thing. (you too!) Hope today is better.

Trinette McCrary said...

Yikes. Hope things start looking up. Let me know if you need anything.

annjeanette said...

I am so sorry! Hope you are doing better. Having been there very recently, I feel your pain.

Colleen said...

I am so sorry it has been such a rough week! I completely relate. The other day the kids were fighting endlessly, and Adam was out at H and R Block. He called for me to get some info from the car that the tax agent needed, and it was so quiet and peaceful in the car. I took an extra couple of minutes sitting there, in the car, in my driveway just to breathe in the good and out the bad! I hope your night went well, those kinds of days/nights really take a toll on us usually happy and sane mommies! And if you need to drop the kids off on Saturday, just so you and Jeff can go home and relax for 2 and a half hours kid-free, know that that is DEFINITELY OK! We would love your company, but it sounds like you will really be needing some time off at that point!

Maynards said...

Oh man, that is the worst. I sure hope today is better for you. Good thing V-day is just around the corner. Hopefully you can get a little time alone with the hubby.